Spirit is a cross platform, untethered, and simple jailbreak method for the latest firmware 3.1.3 on the latest versions of the iPad, iPhone 3G or 3GS, and iPod touch.
1. Sync your device with iTunes to make sure you have a backup in case things go wrong (and they might).
2. Download Spirit for MAC or Spirit for Windows from the developer’s website.
3. Connect your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch to your computer via USB.
4. Run the Spirit application and make sure it recognizes and approves your device settings.
5. Click the “Jailbreak” button and wait about 30 seconds.
6. After Spirit is done your device will restart you should see the Cydia app on your homescreen, which confirms the Spirit jailbreak has completed successfully.
Please note that not all Cydia packages work perfectly on the iPad as of right now. Some will even mess up your iPad and require a restore so play at your own risk!
Here’s a quick overview if you’re not familiar with what a tethered vs. untethered jailbreak is. A tethered jailbreak is a pain to use because every time you shut down your device it goes into recovery mode and you must run the jailbreak program to get it started again. Obviously, this can get to be very tedious, which is why Spirit is a wonderful solution. It is an untethered jailbreak, meaning you only do it once, and you’re set.
For those who are already running a tethered jailbreak: To use Spirit you have to restore first.
Don’t use Spirit if you’ve already unlocked your device or wish to do so. Spirit will *not* unlock your iPhone to be used with other phone carriers like T-Mobile.
- iTunes 9 (including 9.1.1) required
- If your device is stuck on DFU or Recovery modes, Spirit won’t work.
- Firmwares supported by Spirit are:
If you install SSH on your device be sure to change your default password. See the instructions here.
Here is a video demo of the Spirit Jailbreak on an iPad
Use iPhone mods and hacks at your own risk! Installing 3rd Party iPhone apps requires you to jailbreak the iPhone before installing the native software and apps. Browse the full list of all iPhone and iPod touch native 3rd party apps filed under the software category.
Spirit Developer’s website is here
Welcome to AppSafari. Our team loves apps and is dedicated to writing iPhone app reviews to help you find the best new & free iPhone apps in the App Store. For the latest App Store buzz check out the Trending iPhone apps updated daily with free games worth downloading. Enter our giveaway contest to win free apps every day. You can browse the site in either gallery or list layout.