App Ratings Explained
Apps listed on AppSafari are rated both by our reviewers on a 5 point scale as well as by visitors using a 5 star rating system.
Reviewer 5 Point Ratings
Here is an explanation of some of the factors AppSafari looks at when reviewing apps. We like to call these criteria AppSafari’s 5 Commandments to a Killer App. Please note that these 5 items are not in any specific order and that each reviewer has a specific set of personal preferences that may go into their final rating. Overall, the more of these criteria an app meets, the higher its rating tends to be. The absolute highest rating for an app given by AppSafari is a 5, and the lowest rating is a 1. Most apps will fall somewhere in between this scale. We have a special category for “featured apps” that is reserved for applications that we feel have gone above and beyond the norm and offer something truly unique that that sets them apart.
- originality, relevancy, pick-up-and-play ability, humor (bonus), good taste
- gameplay, responsiveness, online multiplayer capability, inclusion of leaderboards, autosave function, intuitive (if not, helpful tutorials for complicated games), fluid support in both landscape and portrait, tilt vs. touch
- soundtrack and sound effects – whether they can be turned on/off, if there is iPod music support, if it changes user’s volume level, obtrusiveness/repetitive looping, suitability (conducive to playing the game or using the app), whether they enhance the atmosphere
- polished, sharp, catchy, colorful, informative, great app icon, dynamic camera angles
- price, time (opportunity cost), replay value, added value (integrated feedback system, continuing development through bug fixes and updates), official trailers or Youtube demos, offer of cheat codes and community portals
Public Star Ratings
In addition to reviewer ratings, we also use a public star rating system which lets users rate the apps based on their experience. This way, anyone, including you can rate the apps we review and also post your personal feedback. You can browse the top user rated apps and check out the Top 25 to see what the community thinks the hottest apps are today.